Saturday, April 08, 2006

Scene 7

Tuco’s Lament: A Spaghetti Western Play

Draft: 06/04/08

Scene 7: Showdown At Samara

Setting the Scene:

Everyman, Knowledge and Good Deeds set off to Samara to confront death. They decide to travel by wagon together.

When they arrive in Samara, they come down the empty main street. Death has not yet arrived. Suddenly Death appears.

There is a GBU like showdown where the two characters stand opposite each other for a long time. Then the climax with a draw and shot. Everyman is lying on the ground. His companions come to his side as he is dying of his wound. They care for him as he dies in their arms as the lights fade and the curtain closes, appearing to signal the end of the show.

Technical

Everyman is making his transition with his friends to Samara. As the curtain closes on the Sand Hill scene the transition between the cemetery and the town is done by using the shadow screen. The group heads to Samarra in a wagon, riding strong and tall to meet their fate.

Props: The curtain closes on the Sad Hill scene. The cemetery scene is removed and Everyman is moved into the (SR) wing. Good Deeds and Knowledge are also waiting in (SR) wing for their entry after the gun battle. Death is being housed in the (SL) wing waiting for his entrance.

As the Sad Hill ends and the movement of props is completed, the shadow relief of Sand Hill (SR) and the town of Samarra (SL) are placed. Then the lights come up on the shadow screen. The group makes its way across the stage. The lights dim on the shadow screen and the relief are replaced by the ones that represent the lonely main street of the town. Everyman and his two buddies make their way down the lonely street to where EM is confronted by death. As this confrontation occurs, the curtains begin to open to review EM and Death facing off. The light then dims on the shadow screen.

Action:

As the lights on the shadow screen rise, the wagon begins it journey from behind the Sad Hill relief, across the stage going from (SR to SL). When they reach the town of Samarra, the lights dim and then we see the lonely street. Everyman goes with his friends down the street, is confronted by Death, a standoff ensues and EM is shot. His friends then come to his side to kneel by his dying body as the lights dim and the curtain begins to close.


Lighting:
As the Sad Hill scene closes the lights have gone down to show that night has fallen and they are getting some shuteye. The lights on the shadow screen rise to illuminate the transition. The group makes its way to Samarra. The lights dim on the shadow screen dim to make way for the new props of the street scene. The lights return back up for the progression down the street. EM confronts death. The curtain opens to show EM and Death locked in their stare and the shot. The lights start to fade as EM is lying dying with his friends close by. It slowly fades to black as the curtain closes. The curtain will open again after a prop change and the lights return.


Sound:
The possibilities are:

1. We use the GBU title #1 for the transition. The long version is from 00:4602:21. The short version is 01:15 - 02:20. This brief one may be better for the flow of the transition. The music comes up as the lights come up on the shadow screen. The music will fade and then return with GBU title # 11 as the lights come back up to show the lonely street. This version goes from 00:0001:39, followed by an insertion of the Death theme from 00:0000:00. Then as the two are standing there we return to the GBU title # 13 at 02:27 – 03:46 and then to 04:49. When EM is hit and falls to the grown we start the dying portion of the scene and move to OATITW title # 1 from 00:50 – 01:54 and then to 03:40.

Unedited Text:

Everyman: My friends, come hither and be present

Discretion, Strength, my Five-wits and Beauty.

Beauty: Here at you will we be all ready.

What will ye that we should do?

Good-Deeds: That ye would with Everyman go,

And help him in his pilgrimage,

Advise you, will ye with him or not in that voyage?

Strength: We will bring him all thither,

To his help and comfort, ye may believe me.

Discretion: So will we go with him all together.

Everyman:

Almighty God, loved thou be,

I give thee laud that I have hither brought

Strength, Discretion, Beauty, and Five-wits; lack I nought;

And my Good-Deeds, with Knowledge clear,

I desire no more to my business.

Strength: And I, Strength, will by you stand in distress,

Though thou would be battle fight on the ground

Five-Wits: And though it were through the world round,

We will not depart for sweet nor sour.

Beauty: No more will I unto death’s hour,

Whatsoever thereof befall.

Discretion: Everyman, advise you first of all;

Go with a good advisement and deliberation;

We all give you virtuous monition

That all shall be well.

Everyman: My friends, harken what I will tell:

I pray God reward you in his heavenly sphere.

Now harken, all that be here,

For I will make my testament

Here before you all present.

In alms half good I will give with my hands twain

In the way of charity with good intent,

And the other half still shall remain

In quiet to be returned there it ought to be.

This I do in despite of the fiend of hell

To go quite out if his peril.

Even after and this day.

Knowledge: Everyman, hearken what I say;

Go to priesthood, I you advise,

And receive of him in any wise

The holy sacrament and ointment together;

Then shortly see ye turn again hither;

We will all abide you here.

Five-Wits: Yea, Everyman, hie you that ye ready were,

There is no emperor, king, duke, ne baron,

That of God hath commission,

As hath the least priest in the world being;

He beareth the keys and thereof hath the cure

For man’s redemption, it is ever sure;

Which God for our soul’s medicine

Gave us out of his heart with great pine;

Here in this transitory life, for thee and me

The blessed sacraments seven there be,

Baptism, confirmation, with priesthood good,

And the sacrament of God’s precious flesh and blood,

Marriage, the holy extreme unction, and penance;

Gracious sacraments of high divinity.

Everyman:

Fain would I receive that holy body

And meek to my ghostly father I will go.

Five-wits: Everyman, that is the best that ye can do:

God will you to salvation bring,

For priesthood exceedeth all other things;

To us Holy Scripture they do teach.

And converteth man from sin heaven to reach;

God hath to them more power given,

Than to any angel that is in heaven;

With five words he may consecrate

God’s body in flesh and blood to male,

And handleth his maker between his hands;

The priest bindeth and unbindeth all bands,

Both in earth and in heaven;

Thou ministers all the sacraments seven;

Though we kissed thy feet thou were worthy;

Thou art surgeon that cureth sin deadly;

No remedy we find under God

But all only priesthood.

Everyman, God gave priests that dignity,

And setteth them in his stead amount us to be;

Thus be they above angels in degree

Knowledge: If priests be good it is so surely;

But when Jesus hanged on the cross with great smart

There he gave, out of his blessed heart,

The same sacrament in great torment:

He sold them not to us, that Lord Omnipotent.

Therefore Saint Peter the apostle doth say

That Jesu’s curse hath all they

Which God their Savior do buy or sell,

Or they for any money do take or tell.

Sinful priests giveth the sinners example bad;

Their children sitteth by other men’s fires, I have heard;

And some haunteth women’s company,

With unclean life, as lusts of lechery:

These be with sin made blind.

Five-wits: I trust to God no such may we find;

Therefore let us priesthood honour,

And follow their doctrine for our souls’ succour;

We be their sheep, and they shepherds be

By whom we all be kept in surety.

Peace, for yonder I see Everyman come,

Which hath made true satisfaction.

Good-Deeds: Methinketh it is he indeed.

Everyman:

Now Jesu be our alder speed*. * speed in help of all

I have received the sacrament for my redemption,

And then mine extreme unction:

Blessed be all they that counsell me to take it!

And now, friends, let us go without longer respite;

I thank God that ye have tarried so long.

Now set each of you on this rod your hand,

And shortly follow me:

I go before, there I would be; God be our guide.

Strength: Everyman, we will not from you go,

Till ye have done this voyage long.

Discretion: I, Discretion, will bide by you also.

Knowledge: And though this pilgrimage be never so strong,

I will never part you fro:

Everyman, I will be as sure by the

As ever I did by Judas Maccabee.

Everyman: Alas, I am so faint I may not stand,

My limbs under me do fold;

Friends, let us not turn again to this land,

Not for all the world’s gold,

For into this cave must I creep

And turn to the earth and there to sleep.

Beauty: What into this grave? Alas!

Everyman:

Yea, there shall you consume more and less.

Beauty: And what, should I smother here?

Everyman: Yea, by my faith, and never more appear.

In this world live no more we shall,

But in heaven before the highest Lord of all.

Beauty: I cross out all this; adieu by Saint John;

I take my cap in my lap and am gone.

Everyman:

What, Beauty, whither will ye?

Beauty: Peace, I am deaf; I look not behind me,

Not and thou would give me all the gold in thy chest.

Everyman: Alas, whereto may I trust?

Beauty goeth fast away hie;

She promised with me to live and die.

Strength: Everyman, I will thee also forsake and deny;

Thy game liketh me not at all.

Everyman:

Why, then ye will forsake me all.

Sweet Strength, tarry a little space.

Strength: Nay, sir, by thy rood of grace

I will hie me from thee fast,

Though thou weep till thy heart brast.

Everyman:

Ye would ever bide by me, ye said.

Strength: Yea, I have you far enough conveyed;

Ye be old enough, I understand,

Your pilgrimage to take on hand;

I repent me that I hither came.

Everyman:

Strength, you to displease I am to blame;

Will you break promise that is debt?

Strength: In faith, I care not;

Thou art but a fool to complain,

You spend your speech and waste your brain;

Go thrust thee into the ground.

Everyman:

I had went surer I should you have found.

He that trustest in his Strength

She him deceiveth at the length.

Both Strength and Beauty forsaketh me,

Yet they promise me fair and lovingly.

Discretion: Everyman, I will after Strength be gone,

As for me I will leave you alone.

Everyman:

Why, Discretion, will ye forsake me?

Discretion: Yea, in faith, I will go from thee,

For when Strength goeth before

I follow after evermore.

Everyman: Yet, I pray thee, for the love of the Trinity,

Look in my grave once piteously.

Discretion: Nay, so nigh will I not come.

Farewell, every one!

Everyman: O all thing faileth, save God alone;

Beauty, Strength, and Discretion;

For when Death bloweth his blast,

They all run from me full fast.

Five-wits: Everyman, my leave now of thee I take;

I will follow the other, for here I thee forsake.

Everyman: O Jesu, help, all hath forsaken me!

Good-Deeds: Nay, Everyman, I will bide with thee,

I will not forsake thee indeed;

Thou shalt find me a good friend at need.

Everyman: Gramercy, Good-Deeds; now may I true friends see;

They have forsaken me every one;

I loved them better than my Good-Deeds alone.

Knowledge, will ye forsake me also?

Knowledge: Yea, Everyman, when ye to death do go;

But not yet for no manner of danger.

Everyman: Gramercy, Knowledge, with all me heart.

Knowledge: Nay, yet I will not depart from hence depart,

Till I see where ye shall be come.

Everyman: Methinketh, alas, that I must be gone,

To make my reckoning and my debts pay,

For I see my time is nigh spent away.

Take example, all ye that do hear or see,

How they that I loved best do forsake me,

Except my Good-Deeds that bideth truly.

Good-Deeds: All earthly things is but vanity:

Beauty, Strength, and Discretion, do man forsake,

Foolish friends and kinsmen, that fair spake,

All fleeth save Good-Deeds, and that am I.

Everyman: Have mercy on me, God, most mighty;

And stand by me, thou Mother and Maid, holy Mary.

Good-Deeds: Fear not, I will speak for thee.

Everyman: Here I cry God mercy.

Good-Deeds: Short our end, and minish our pain;

Let us go and never come again.

Everyman: Into thy hands, Lord, my soul I commend;

Receive it, Lord, that it be not lost;

As thou me boughtest, so me defend,

And save me from the fiend’s boast,

That I may appear with that blessed host

That shall be saved at the day of doom.

In manus tuas- of might’s most

For ever- commendo spiritum meum.

Knowledge: Now hath he suffered that we all shall endure;

The Good-Deeds shall make all sure.

Now hath he made ending;

Methinketh that I hear angels sing

And make great joy and melody,

Where Everyman’s soul received shall be.

Angel: Come, excellent elect spouse to Jesu:

Hereabove thou shalt go

Because of thy singular virtue:

Now the soul is taken the body fro;

Thy reckoning is crystal-clear.

Now shalt thou into the heavenly sphere,

Unto the which all ye shall come

That liveth well before the day of doom.

Doctor: This moral men may have in mind;

Ye hearers, take it of worth, old and young,

And forsake pride, for he deceiveth you in the end,

And remember Beauty, Five-wits, Strength, and Discretion,

They all at last do Everyman forsake,

Save his Good-Deeds, there doth he take.

But beware, and they be small

Before God, he hath no help at all.

None excuse may be there for Everyman:

Alas, how shall he do then?

For after death amends may no man make,

For then mercy and pity do him forsake.

If his reckoning be not clear when he do come,

God will say- ite maledicti in ignem aeternum.

And he that hath his account whole and sound,

High in heaven he shall be crowned;

Unto which place God bring us all thither

That we may live body and soul together.

Thereto help the Trinity,

Amen, say ye, for saint Charity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home